Saturday, July 01, 2023

Notting Hill

Notting Hill 


She maybe the face I can't forget

A trace of pleasure or regret

May be my treasure or the price I have to pay

She may be the song that summer sings

May be the chill that autumn brings

May be a hundred different things

Within the measure of a day.


Meanwhile walked, I hummed, tried to remember the lyric of the theme song Notting Hill movie, one of my favorite movie that casted by Hugh Grant.

It needs 24 minutes to walk from our apart hotel in Hyde Park area, about, 2 km, to go to The Notting Hill bookshop. Actually you can also take a tube from Queensway, and stop in Notting Hill gate, and only need 13 minutes to walk, but I prefer to walk. I have setting a step goal to reach every day. 

It was 08.10 his morning, windy and cold for beginning of July. The street was empty. Maybe people prefer to be relaxed in the warmth of their bed after worked hard during the weekdays. 

There were also few people that doing sport, jogging or only walked with the dog. We passed by with securities one of them gave me a big smile, and warm greeting.

Last night there was a music performance of Guns n roses in the Hyde Park, near our appointment, and the station nearby was closed. But we couldn't noticed any thing. There was no trash left in the street. There was no billboard like what we usually find in our lovely city, Yogya. Everything was normal. 

Today is our last day in London, and I wanted to visit the Notting Hill book shop, where some of the scene was taken. I love that movie, and watched several times. I love reading book, and that small, cute bookshop that was in movie, is really interesting for me. 

With helped of Google map, we almost there, when suddenly we stopped since the direction was confusing. It's not easy to use Google map while walking. It is totally different with the situation when we are driving. Some times the arrow just turn around, and we will realize that was wrong when we have walked about 50-100 meters. 

"Are you lost, can I help you?" Luckily there was a half midlle age lady that walked with a dog offered help. Yes, sure. Why not? From her we knew where the book shop was. Even she showed us, the building where the scene of press conference was taken, that was just in our left. 

And... Here you are. I was there. Standing in front of the book shop. 

It was just opened. The two young beautiful ladies that worked there still arranged some books on the outside windows and cleaned the floor. After waiting for a while, I came inside. Enjoying their collection. My husband was waiting in cafĂ© beside, enjoying some acai juice, fruit typical from Brazil. 

They have some interesting book, and the arrangement is also interesting. There were books that was sold inside the wrapping paper. They wrote "Blindate with a book" in a small wooden plate behind. So, you buy a book, without know what is the title. I don't know how it works, and even I couldn't imagine who will buy a book without knowing what is inside. 

In the other shelf, there was one section, about the book recommendations from the owner/the staff. They write what is the title, the summary and why they recommend that book. 

Also there is a shelf that has souvenir about the movies. Postcard of Julia Robert and Hugh Grant's, the book shop or some notebooks. 

I spent some of the times, interested with some title of books or novels, but of course I had to hold me back. I couldn't buy anything. I don't have enough place in my luggage, since it will be full of my daughter's stuff. She even has to give some of her stuff away, including her books. 

And after my husband finishing his second cup of acai with the topping of banana and granola, I decided it was time to go. The shop was full already with visitors. There was a young couple Indonesia, I noticed from the language that they spoke. They were busy selected and discussed books, so I think it's not wise to interrupt just to say hello. I left with a hope some day I can come back there again, with an empty luggage, and pocket full of money (now, of course with the card full of cash) . 

On the way back to hotel, I remember one quote from the movie, when Anna Scott (Julia Robert's) , the famous actress asked to William Thacker (Hugh Grant), owner of that small bookshop to love her. 

"I am just a girl standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her."







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home